Dutch silver salter - mark identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gabriellaal

Dutch silver salter - mark identification

Post by gabriellaal »

I was looking up the hallmarks on this silver salter but would need some help. Here are my pictures:

Initially I thought that:
- the lion rampant would indicate the purity grade (it's a bit rubbed, so no '1' can be observed in it),
- the 5-pointed star would refer to Maastricht (as shown here: 925-800 City guild marks as of the middle ages towards 1795 & 1814-2),
- the letter would be for the year (but the closest-looking would have been 1962??)
- and another mysterious mark (the two vertical stars under the crown, 3rd symbol from the left).

Researching further, I came across this post from your forums:
European Silver? in which were shown "a full house of Dutch pseudo/fake marks".
These marks looked very similar to mines..... From that post:
The miniature tea kettle probably has been made around the turn of the 19th century and by a skilled silver smith. The pseudo marks were struck to give the kettle the 'antique look' and perhaps to reduce import duties, antiques are exempt from import duty. Anyway, at the last quarter/end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century, there has been a big demand for old continental silver and various silversmiths in the Netherlands started to make ‘antique’ silver items, in combination with legal hallmarks and pseudo marks but also without legal hallmarks and fooled the ignorant beholder/ buyer.
Can you perhaps help to shed some light on my marks?
Is my item bearing an example of old pseudo marks?
If not, could you please help identifying the marks?
The salter looks old to me, but not 18C, perhaps a 19th-20th century piece that is made to appear older.

Thanks for your help.
gabriellaal

Re: Dutch silver salter - mark identification

Post by gabriellaal »

technical problem, here are my pictures again:
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Gabriellaal, welcome to the forum.

Yes your research is correct . Full house of pseudo marks, from left to right; lion rampant facing right a pseudo standard mark (upside down) used by silver smiths in the Dutch province of Groningen, 6 pointed star pseudo maker's mark of Bolsward & Amsterdam master Epke Hoytes, this pseudo mark used by silver smiths in Groningen, pseudo Amsterdam town mark (upside down)used by silver smiths in Groningen, Amsterdam and Schoonhoven, last but not least a pseudo year letter C used by silver smiths in Groningen and Schoonhoven. The set of pseudo marks are typical for Dutch silver made in Groningen or Schoonhoven turn of the 19th century-early 20th century.
Are there no other little marks somewhere hidden in the decoration?

Best,

Peter
gabriellaal

Post by gabriellaal »

Peter,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and help!

I am awaiting for the item to arrive, so can't inspect it further at the moment.

As my knowledge stands now, there is no valid legal mark for silver.
I hope that there would be a sword mark for smaller silver items.
What other mark(s) should I look out for hidden somewhere?

Many thanks,
Gabriella
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Gabriella, if you are lucky: standard mark (lion), office mark or Minerva head, year letter and maker's mark/sword mark.

Peter.
gabriellaal

Post by gabriellaal »

Thanks Peter!

I'll inspect it closely :)

Return to “Dutch Silver”