Head with s mark. Can't find details

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Dirk1966

Head with s mark. Can't find details

Post by Dirk1966 »

Hi,

Strange title I know but I have this French sugar sifter that has several marks on it ths I am trying to identify
The crowned V is Dutch if i am not mistaken?
The head - apologies for the not so clear picture has an S stamped in to it. is this a Rayon mark ?
The Rooster mark was used between 1809 and 1819 and has the number 2 underneath it.

The crowned O at the back is this French or can this be an city mark from the Netherlands?

Dirk1966

Re: Head with s mark. Can't find details

Post by Dirk1966 »

Already found it.
The hallmarks are Dutch Hallmarks under French rule used between 1809 and 1819
The S is for Department Leeuwarden which is in the North of the Netherlands
The Crowned O is for "onbelast" which means duty free
This item was made between 1809 and 1814 when the Dutch started there only codes as per Dutch responsibility marks book
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Dirk, great find. Yes you are absolutely correct. Hallmarks of the French empire 1809-1819 and used March 1812 in today's northern Netherlands. Standard mark the French rooster 2 under his wing for .800 fineness, Office mark for departments, regional assay office letter S for department Frise todays present Friesland /Frisia province, assay office city of Leeuwarden. The crowned V is a later Dutch tax mark used 1814-1893, duty mark for foreign and other untaxed objects. See:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
The maker's mark unfortunately is not clear. Could you try to make a few more images of the maker's mark?
The sifter is made before 1807 and probably made in Friesland and started of with a maker's mark only. Which is not unusual for 18th- early 19th century Frisian silver of a low standard or second standard below minimum .934/000 fineness. French hallmarking law of 1812 specifically states that all second-hand gold and silver objects, if not provided with valid marks, must also be assayed and marked to standard of fineness, or must be destroyed when below standard of fineness. This new law sent the sifter for re-inspection/re-assay in order it could be sold at an official shop/market or auction house.

Peter.
Dirk1966

Post by Dirk1966 »

Good morning Peter,

Many thanks for your information.

I made another pictures of the hallmarked but it is well rubbed.

Kind regards

Dirk

Return to “Dutch Silver”