Dutch Makers Mark (and Date?) if possible please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
emptguy

Dutch Makers Mark (and Date?) if possible please

Post by emptguy »

Hello forum,

Attached are images of a birthday gift, a silver tobacco box/pebble which is approximately 7cm wide. Could one of you possibly identify a maker please? The lion with overlaid key export mark seems fairly clear next to it.

Image Image Image

If you look at the second image of the whole box, I've circled in red what looks like a small mark embossed on the lid. That's the third image close-up. It certainly doesn't look like part of the design. I wondered if that's a date letter or separate makers mark.

Thank you in anticipation.

Ian T
oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch Makers Mark (and Date?) if possible please

Post by oel »

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum. Silver pillbox. The maker's mark: BWE conjoined monogram in (double) oval for; B. W. van Eldik & A.F. van der Scheer also known as Hollandia Zilversmeden, located city of Zutphen. The mark registered from 1917/1950. The Minerva head or assay office mark with the regional assay office letter H for the city of Arnhem. The circular mark in the lid is a Minerva head.

Somewhere hidden, if you look carefully with the use of a magnifying glass you will find a tiny little year letter.

For the maker's mark see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590

Peter.
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

Peter.

Thank you for this.

I am a little surprised as I always thought this style of box was usually earlier, turn of the century sort of period. I will have to revisit my small collection and do some more research to date everything.

As for a date letter itself. I've had a real good look and can't find a stamp anywhere. The Arnhem stamp is clearly defined on the reverse of the lid, that's one of the reasons I found it so easily on the top. There's no similar indentation for a letter stamp on the lid and the main body doesn't seem to have one which would be easier to spot as it's otherwise smooth. I've also checked the rim. There's either none there or one day it would jump out and bite me on the nose!

Thank you again. As always the forum comes through in double quick time.

Ian T
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

Consider nose bitten!

Looks like a 'K' for 1920.

I need more practice with a loupe!

Thanks again,

Ian T

Return to “Dutch Silver”