interesting early tea pot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
antiquv

interesting early tea pot

Post by antiquv »

Hello
Just wanted to ask what do you think about this camel shaped teapot
it is marked on the cover and on the base with amsterdam mark for 17 century
and there is a lot of wear and some older restorations, can anyone tell me who is the maker on
the makers mark ?

oel
co-admin

Re: interesting early tea pot

Post by oel »

Hi,
Certainly not Amsterdam 17th century. The town mark, if Amsterdam at all, doesn't look right. The other mark is unknown to me perhaps Arabian or Turkish?

Peter.
antiquv

Post by antiquv »

Dear peter
first of all, thank you for the fast respond but i disagree your idea its middle eastern
you can see this 2 identical shaped potter teapots from 18th century england, in addition
to this i have posted a picture of the mark on the base, its worn, but its an amsterdam mark

legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Probably late 19th early 20th-century pseudo marks. The handle looks like its hollow and wrong for the period as does the rest of the piece. Fun quirky pieces, like this, from the late Victorian period are often loosely based on original pieces. But even if we are all wrong and it is a 17th-century piece, none of the other marks are at all identifiable. I believe the other marks were purposely made smudges and blur to give the illusion of age and authenticity.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, yes I agree. The mark on the base of the teapot, at first glance, appears to be the town mark of Amsterdam. Why didn't you show it in your first mail? Always show all marks in one go. However we would expect to find on the base, next to the town mark, a maker's mark and a year letter. The marks on the rim of the lid are not clear, unknown to me. If the marks do not make sense we call it pseudo or fake marks, or tampered with.
Below the proper marks on the base of a silver tea pot made in Amsterdam 1742 by Jan de Vries;

"Camel" stoneware teapot, Staffordshire, c. 1750
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleford_Pottery

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”