18th Century Dutch Buckle? - Mixed marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

18th Century Dutch Buckle? - Mixed marks

Post by SilverK »

So I have another Dutch item with marks that I can't identify, I'm afraid.

This time it's what I think is a late 18th century buckle with what may be two separate sets of marks:

1) The first set is on the moveable bar. These I think are for Amsterdam 1797 or maybe 1773. The maker's mark looks like 'A symbol R' in a rectangular frame. The nearest I can find is for Albertus Antonius Rooswinkel, but he was from Leeuwarden and the stamp follows the outline of his mark, rather than being rectangular. Unless he also had his work assayed in Amsterdam with my mark it must be someone else.

2) The second set is on the frame itself. Unfortunately, they are incomplete. What looks like a maker's mark seems to read BM. I have no real idea what the other mark could be.

It's feasible that this is a marriage of two different components, though I don't think it is. It could be that one is a maker's mark and the other a retailer's mark or perhaps the second set were stamped in another country.

Would anyone be kind enough to help me unpick this?

Many thanks,

Silverk.

oel
co-admin

Re: 18th Century Dutch Buckle? - Mixed marks

Post by oel »

The buckle's moveable bar is made in Amsterdam by ADR in a rectangle frame. The maker's mark of Andries de Roever, registered in Amsterdam 1792-1833, died 1845 in the city of Deventer. He was the owner of a big silver factory. He also held shop at the factory premises. To pass his master silversmith examination he made a pair of buckles. Your moveable bar shows the town mark of Amsterdam, kleine keur or 2nd standard or 833/000 fineness, year letter O for 1797.

The frame itself is made in Utrecht, combined town mark year letter X(?) for 1805, kleine keur or 2nd standard or 833/000 fineness
Below the combined town mark and year letter Y for 1806;
The silver guild town mark of the city of Utrecht is based on the city coat of arms: a crowned cross-divided coat of arms meets with vertical stripes in the vertical section. For more information see Utrecht:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 028#p82869

The maker's mark BM for: Benjamin Muyzert, registered in Utrecht 1798-1811.

The buckle is a marriage and/or repair.

Peter.
SilverK
contributor

Re: 18th Century Dutch Buckle? - Mixed marks

Post by SilverK »

Hi Peter,

Thanks once again for such an informative response. It's not surprising I couldn't find them!

I can see now that the buckle part is from Utrecht, but even examining the date letter area through a loupe I can't make out a letter from any direction.

I was thinking that the different components may have been made by two workshops specializing in the different parts and then brought together, but rethinking it and especially if the date letter is an x, I would agree it's a marriage/repair.

Thanks very much indeed,

Silverk.

Return to “Dutch Silver”