Richard Richardson teaspoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Richard Richardson teaspoons

Post by rat-tail »

Hi All - this was a posting lost in the crash - late october. I asked to help identify this set of five feather edge teaspoons with bottom marks - a lion passant and maker's mark RR. Buckler answered that although his reference books were not 100 percent accurate on early marks felt Richard Richardson of Chester was the most likely candidate in terms of style and date. I had originally thought they were London spoons and noted that I had never seen a bottom marked Chester spoon. Miles suggested similarly and asked for further pictures of the lion passant. I also noted the strange downward stroke on the second R and thought that maybe it was a fouled punch. My copy of Jacksons shows Richard Richardson's marks to have two Rs looking like the first one. So while I would love them to be the work of Richard Richardson of Chester and these my only pieces of 18th century Chester silver - it would seem the verdict is still out. Have included two of the cleared lions passant with the original pictures. Regards Frank

PS - if I have misconstrued anyone's comments in paraphrasing a whole thread - I do apologise.

Two more lions passant
georgiansilver
contributor

Re: Richard Richardson teaspoons

Post by georgiansilver »

I sold one with a similar mark at auction some years ago... the mark.. which had a similar second r was attributed to Richard Redrick ... Who if I remember correctly was a London Silversmith. There was some argument over the shape of the stamp though and the attribution was a bit... let's say loose..
rat-tail
contributor

Re: Richard Richardson teaspoons

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Georgian silver - many thanks for the info. Richard Redrick not listed in my copy of Jacksons, the only London smiths there for the period are Robert Rogers and Richard Rugg and neither's marks are remotely similar. Maybe Mr Redrick is a lost register project.But looking at Richardson's marks - there were obviously a father and son concern because the first marks were entered in 1728 and they go through to the duty mark period, he has one on a 1784 gravy ladle that has a smudge over the bottom of the second R - although that could be coincidental dodgy printing. Then looking at the lions passant - think I can see the traces of the bottom of the shield left after the reshaping which would be London - Chester being straight at the base. Regards Frank

Return to “Chester Hallmarks”