Help with candlesticks and its markings.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bytebit

Help with candlesticks and its markings.

Post by bytebit »

Hi there. Are you the one who can help me with 4 distinct markings on the candlestick? Also, where may it come from, the possible year and perhaps the name of the candlestick design? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

bytebit

Re: Help with candlesticks and its markings.

Post by bytebit »

Sorry, here are the images:

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

These are English sterling silver rather than plated. The marks are a Chester hallmark. From left to right we have:

- sponsor's mark, often called the maker's mark: TL & EM are Latham & Morton of Vyse Street, Birmingham, the partners being Thomas Latham & Ernest Morton. This mark was registered on 7 August 1902
- lion passant: the English mark for sterling silver
- town mark: the sword & wheatsheaves mark of the Chester Assay Office
- date letter: cursive E for the assay year 1905/06

You don't show the tops of these pieces but they look to me more like vases than candlesticks. They is probably no pattern name. Here in the UK we don't seem to have the same obsession with pattern names as in the US.

Phil
bytebit

Post by bytebit »

Thanks Phil for your time with my post. Very informative.

I thought it was a pair of candlestick. But vases sounds good as the opening is too wide for most candles. There are holes/openings within the intricate designs down the tube to the bottom. Vases usually require water with what goes in it. Unless it originally had glass inserts.

Here is the image, looking down from the top of the pair. Any additional comments? Thanks, David

silvermakersmarks wrote:These are English sterling silver rather than plated. The marks are a Chester hallmark. From left to right we have:

- sponsor's mark, often called the maker's mark: TL & EM are Latham & Morton of Vyse Street, Birmingham, the partners being Thomas Latham & Ernest Morton. This mark was registered on 7 August 1902
- lion passant: the English mark for sterling silver
- town mark: the sword & wheatsheaves mark of the Chester Assay Office
- date letter: cursive E for the assay year 1905/06

You don't show the tops of these pieces but they look to me more like vases than candlesticks. They is probably no pattern name. Here in the UK we don't seem to have the same obsession with pattern names as in the US.

Phil
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

A missing glass liner is very possible; they could also be used for dried flower stems.

Return to “Chester Hallmarks”