Help with Maker's Marks "RBS"

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
miphi4tbg

Help with Maker's Marks "RBS"

Post by miphi4tbg »

I can't find this maker in my reference books,
(even Dr. McGrew's great new book!) and I'm hoping some one on this forum will be able to help. The spoon is 8 1/4" long. Thanks!
-Miphi4tbg
catman

Post by catman »

These marks could be British instead of American. The first mark to the left of the maker's mark looks like the leopard's head crowned (London before 1821) and the next mark could be the lion rampant standard mark.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Hmmm, if it is an English (London) mark, then I can't find it in my references. Anyone have Grimwade’s London Goldsmiths 1697-1837 ?

Waylander
miphi4tbg

Post by miphi4tbg »

Thanks to Waylander and catman for your responses! Since I posted this question here and on another forum, I've received the following information that you all might find interesting, as I did:
Your ENGLISH made spoon was created by ROGER SYMONS of PLYMOUTH, who first registered his mark in Exeter in1758 and worked until c.1775.
Exeter was his nearest Assay Office and to keep within the law he had to have his work assayed and marked as sterling.
Plymouth at this point was the main port for the Royal Navy in south-west England and thus had many silversmiths of varying levels of prosperity (including many Jewish ones)-
RBS was nearer the top than the bottom of this hierachy, with a shop of his own.
Hope this helps
Reading from left to right the marks read:
maker's mark, leopard's head crowned (on side), lion passant, Exeter city mark (on side), date letter (obscured ? by repair?)

Thanks again!
-miphi4tbg

Return to “Exeter Hallmarks”