William Pearce.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

William Pearce.

Post by paulh »

This is an ordinary fiddle teaspoon, which appears to be by William Pearce of Plymouth, with an Exeter date letter for 1821. The records I have seen suggests that William Pearce worked until around 1796. Am I barking up the wrong tree here and can anyone explain this anomaly?

Paul.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: William Pearce.

Post by silvermakersmarks »

No explanation, but that definitely seems to be the mark of William Pearce - the notches are quite distinctive.

Phil
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Very odd. William Pearce died in 1804, and that is his mark. In addition, I haven't come across anther WP maker in the West Country at the time that it could be.

A bit of a mystery!

Miles
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A William Pearce, Silversmith of Plymouth, appears to have been part of syndicate who made an investment with the Bank of England in October 1817. A son perhaps, continuing his father's business?

Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Correction: William Pearce died in 1806, not 1804.

I like the theory, Trev. There isn't a mention in the assay books of a Pearce entering anything in 1821, but rules were a bit lax, and it wasn't unknown for the manufacturer's name to be entered in the book, and the retailer's mark to be stamped on the object.

Miles

Return to “Exeter Hallmarks”