Sauceboat from Newcastle, 1774-75

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Juke
contributor

Sauceboat from Newcastle, 1774-75

Post by Juke »

A sauceboat from Newcastle and 1774-75. Looking for the name of the silversmith and if there are more information on him and his workshop.

The makers mark is ?C with something on top.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Juhana

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Juhana,

It looks to me like the mark of James Crawford, he worked in the Groat Market in Newcastle, he entered his mark with the Newcastle Goldsmiths Company in 1763, but was known to have been working before that. He died in 1795 and was known to make items such as yours.
His wife Sarah continued the business after his death.

Trev.
buckler

Post by buckler »

Yes , almost certainly James Crawford - the mark is as given in Gill .

The Lion Passant Guardant is interesting being in an almost identical punch to the form used by London in the 1740 -1756 period. Refences books seen to give this in use at Newcastle in 1759 - 1779, but I have an example of a buckle by Patrick Beach (last assays in 1778) with a very rectangular punch. Can anyone shed light on the use of this punch in Newcastle ?.
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Thanks both to Trev and buckler for information on the silversmith and his work.

Regards,
Juhana
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Here is a very slighty better mark for James Crawford.

Trev.
buckler

Post by buckler »

Thanks dognose for the marks set. Now I'm even more confused over the Lion Passants of Newcastle. According to Jackson the date letter for 1787/88 (W) was used with the nipple bottomed Lion, not the rectangular one. Or perhaps they overlapped . Also what a wonderful "assay set" Sideways Lion, Upright Leopart (well whiskered) , Upright Town mark, sideways Duty and sideways dateletter.
What object was the mark applied to ?
Confused of Warwickshire
buckler

Post by buckler »

To be very pedantic my wife has asked me to correct "Lion Passants of Newcastle" to "Lions Passant of Newcastle "
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Is it "lions passant" or "lions passants"? I can never remember if French present participles reflect gender and number.

Miles
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Buckler,

The mark is on a well made tablespoon, 8 5/8" (22mm) in length and 2 oz in weight, it has a celtic point end and nice engraving on the top side.

Regards Trev.
buckler

Post by buckler »

Many thanks Trev. Spoon is a nice weight and very substantial thickness in the mid section.
Essexboy Found
contributor

Re: Sauceboat from Newcastle, 1774-75

Post by Essexboy Found »

The "James Crawford" name got me to this post. This nice set of hallmarks are on a table/dessert spoon, 7 3/4 inches long and 45 grams in weight. We can see the 1774 "H" and that mini spiked cartouche lion, discussed earlier, along with the crisp maker mark.

Do we think the pictorial bit of the "IC" mark is a trophy? It looks a bit like a cows head with decorations on its horns to me.
Regarding the Newcastle "London like" cartouche dates, the "silvermakersmarks" web site has the plain rectangular cartouche as an example for 1778 (M). There are not any examples for the years 1775-1777.

Fishless
Aguest
contributor

Re: Sauceboat from Newcastle, 1774-75

Post by Aguest »

:::::: The resource (Silver Collection Dot Eye Tea) has your hallmark archived and says the image is a cup. :::::

Return to “Newcastle Hallmarks”