Help with the maker of this newcastle sauce boat

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Help with the maker of this newcastle sauce boat

Post by rat-tail »

Hi all - Any thoughts on this charming but a little battered baby sauce boat, or cream boat appreciated. It would appear to be 1754, but could possibly be 1781, but think it unlikely. But who might J.L or I.L be? The marks don't match any of John Langlands marks on the forum, and I think this is too early anyway. Thanks Frank.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

Take a close look at the maker's mark. Is there underneath the 'JL' a shadow of 'JG'? I think I can see it in your third photo.

Trev.

PS. I've been watching the test match in Durban this morning, the weather there looks glorious.
T.
carlislepaul
contributor

Newcastle mark

Post by carlislepaul »

Greetings

For those who do not have Jacksons to hand the marks are

Newcastle 1754/5 John Langlands I and John Goodrick

Regards

Paul
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Guys - thanks for the info. This is one of those marks where the picture actually shows more than you can see under the glass. Think I can make out the top of the second J and the second pellet, but the G quite visible in the pic. Must have been an enormous punch.

And glad Trev you're enjoying the cricket. Was a beautiful day here in Durban, but then in typical Durban fashion it clouds over in the afternoon and buckets with rain. They really should start play at 8am. The moral of the story in this city is that if you want the best of the day, do it early. With a bit of luck I might get into Kingsmead on day three. - Thanks Frank
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

John Langlands and John Goodrick were the fomer apprentices and journeymen of Isaac Cookson (See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5&start=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Upon the death of their Master in August 1754, John Langlands applied for his Freedom from the Newcastle Company and purchased Cookson's stock and shop, known as 'The Gold Ring', and took Goodrick into partnership.

Langlands & Goodrick entered their marks with the Wardens of the Newcastle Company on the 1st October 1754.

They also accepted Cookson's two current apprentices, George William Chambers, who was turned over to Langlands, and James Robinson, who was turned over to Goodrick.

The partnership was, however, short lived, due to the death of John Goodrick in April 1757. Following Goodricks demise*, Langlands continued on his own until 1765 when he was joined in partnership with Joseph Hutchinson.

*Goodrick's death was caused by 'a diseased Mesentery which was increased to an enormous lump'.

Trev.
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Thanks - appreciate it - Frank

Return to “Newcastle Hallmarks”