Candel sticks, need help.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Candel sticks, need help.

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images as very few members will click on such links.

Trev.
nyyminen

Post by nyyminen »

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Your candlestick has a Sheffield hallmark with the date letter b for 1919 and the maker's mark JD over WD for James Deakin & Sons. This shows that the material of the candlesticks is sterling silver. Perhaps someone else will recognise the other mark. JD and WD are the initials of John and William Deakin; see http://www.925-1000.com/dlSheffield2.html#M.

Phil
nyyminen

Post by nyyminen »

silvermakersmarks wrote:Your candlestick has a Sheffield hallmark with the date letter b for 1919 and the maker's mark JD over WD for James Deakin & Sons. This shows that the material of the candlesticks is sterling silver. Perhaps someone else will recognise the other mark. JD and WD are the initials of John and William Deakin; see http://www.925-1000.com/dlSheffield2.html#M.

Phil

Thanks phil, so it could be real not fake? I found same kind of candle holders, but other maker´s. Is JD/WD rare? My pieces are hollow not solid.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The maker is not extremely rare, and the hallmarks do look genuine, I have been researching the other hallmarks and they kind of look like import marks of some sort, so this might have been imported into another country, but I cannot be absolutely sure of this because I haven't been able to identify those marks, but they look like "import marks" and not the marks given by a retail shop :::
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Indeed, they are Finnish import marks.

Trev.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”