Rare Cork Silver Basting Spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
scorpio
contributor

Rare Cork Silver Basting Spoons

Post by scorpio »

This is my latest Irish Silver acquisition, a fine pair of Irish silver hook end basting spoons. Hook end basting spoons are peculiar to Ireland and are not found in English or Scottish silver.

With just the maker's mark AD punched on the back of the stems, I was somewhat mystified at first as to who this could be as AD did not appear in any of the online lists or hallmark books I have for Irish silversmiths, either Dublin or Provincial. However, it did not take long to find a reference to Alexander Douglas in Bowen & O'Brien's book, Cork Silver and Gold. This rare Cork maker was apprenticed to the well known silversmith William Reynolds from 13 May 1763 to 9 November 1970 so fits in perfectly with the period during which hook end basting spoons were made in Ireland. It's usual to find STERLING or STERg on Cork silver as well as the maker's mark but not on these spoons.

I have posted images of the spoons, front, back, the crest (an arm with clenched fist holding three leaves aloft) and the maker's mark AD. The crests are in fine condition, the marks a bit worn but easily decipherable (better with the naked eye that my camera shot).

So far, I have been unable to find any other reference to Alexander Douglas online or in reference books let alone a maker's mark to compare to the one on these spoons in order to confirm they were in fact made by this rare Cork silversmith. If anyone can help, I really would appreciate it. I will enquire with a silver dealer too to see if he can help.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Rare Cork Silver Basting Spoons

Post by dognose »

Hi Scorpio,

Thanks for sharing these great pieces.

Is the mark definitely 'AD'? I was wondering about the possibility of Alexander Richards of Dublin, or even Adam Buck of Limerick.

Trev.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Hi Trev,

Yes, you may very well be correct. I actually spoke to J. Weldon, a silver expert, today and described the spoons to him. He suggested Alexander Richards as well and pretty much ruled out Alexander Douglas. The A in the maker's mark is so easy on both spoons but the second initial is worn so that it looks like a D at times and a R at others. I even suspected B too. If Alexander Richards, the spoons are earlier than I thought, 1751 to 1765. Strange to only see a maker's mark on Dublin silver; I know no date marks between late 1730s to late 1760s but no Hibernia or Harp Crowned either on these spoons. That's why I thought Provincial.

Although the mark is similar, I think Adam Buck is too early for this type of spoon as he died in 1725. I'm not sure when silversmiths began making hook end basting spoons but I think later than Adam Buck's time. There is a slight dip in the oval surround between the A and second initial and to Mr Weldon, that indicated Alexander Richards although I don't see that dip in the published marks.

Anyway, I am calling in to see Mr Weldon tomorrow morning so hopefully I will be a lot wiser about these spoons after that. I'll post what I learn.

Gordon
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Sadly, a fruitless visit into town so I am no wiser than I was before but after studying other spoons with Alexander Richards's hallmarks, especially the close up of the image here http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/10988/lot/83/ (click image on web site to enlarge), I am fairly certain that these spoons are by him, circa 1752/60, and are not Irish Provincial. There is no image on the web page linked below but it does mention a hook-end basting spoon (different crest) by Alexander Richards dating to 1752. http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/10163/lot/296/

Thanks for the help Trev.
steve7408

Post by steve7408 »

Hi Scorpio,

When I have a piece that is rubbed like yours, I take a few pictures and then in my photoshop software I turn the picture to a negative only, I don't do anything else to it. On many occasions this has helped me out, take a few pictures of different angles and then one face on, it normally works for me, worth a try

Regards,

Steve
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Yes, a good idea. I usually open in PS and use Levels, Curves etc but I'll try negative as well next time. These particular spoons are now disposed of though.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”