Celtic point teaspoon.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

Celtic point teaspoon.

Post by paulh »

This is a typical Celtic point teaspoon, but I am having a problem tracing the maker. I have posted this in the Scottish section, but I might be wrong. The maker’s mark appears to be “I N” and there is also a trace of a mark to the left, which has been struck with only half the mark on the spoon. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Paul.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Celtic point teaspoon.

Post by dognose »

Hi Paul,

John Nicholson II of Cork perhaps?

See: http://www.925-1000.com/IProv_Nicholson.html

Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Thanks Trev. It's obvious once you know.Just looked in Douglas Bennett's book and there it is!

Paul.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

This isn't the maker's mark shown in Bennett's book which is IN in a rectangular reserve with clipped corners. The corners on the spoon's reserve are sharp, similar to the mark for John Nicholson II in the Irish Provincial section on this website, which Trev gave you the link to, except for the rather peculiar small letters 'as' between the I and N. I have no idea what those letters represent or why they would be included in the punch. Also, one would expect to find a STERLING mark on spoons by Nicholson family members. It may very well be one of John Nicholson II's marks but I think Trev was correct in saying 'perhaps'.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”