Unidentified Provincial (?) Sterling Silver Teaspoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Silver Arrow

Unidentified Provincial (?) Sterling Silver Teaspoon

Post by Silver Arrow »

Hi Everyone

This is my first posting and I am hoping that someone might be able to identify the markings on a fiddle pattern teaspoon that I recently purchased. The spoon in question was bought in conjunction with a Dublin salt shovel and Scottish fiddle pattern teaspoon by John Clark of Edinburgh.
The markings on my as yet unidentified spoon are a 'V' (date letter?) with another symbol that I cannot make out and the makers mark, CM. The CM is very similar to Charles Murray of Perth, but on my spoon the shield is oval in shape, but Charles Murray's mark appears inside a rectangle shield.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Clive
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unidentified Provincial (?) Sterling Silver Teaspoon

Post by dognose »

Hi Silver Arrow,

A belated welcome to the Forum.

My appologies, I thought I had responded to your question.

Despite the difference in the surrounding cartouche, I would still go with Charles Murray.

As far as the 'V' is concerned, I've noted this letter on a few occasions, when seen, it has been accompanied with marks that the do not normally fit with the with the maker. It's just a very vague theory of mine that this letter may have been struck when the spoon was sold in a location where the maker was not a member of the local guild and thus would not have been allowed to work in that town, ie, it was retailed by another. Only speculation, absolutely nothing to back this theory up.

IK - V - Double headed eagle - Tree with bauble

Trev.
Silver Arrow

Post by Silver Arrow »

Hi Trev

Thank you for your response and assessment of this interesting little teaspoon. To be perfectly honest, I was not 100% sure that it was Scottish provincial, but as it was bought in conjunction with an Irish and Scottish spoon, however, I did lean towards it possibly being a Scottish teaspoon. I carried out some research and checked all the usual websites and reference books, but was unable to identify a region, let alone a maker.

Do you know what the symbol between the 'V' and the makers mark (CM) could be? And also, before the 'V' there is a partial outline of what could be a face, but I am guessing of course.

Once again, many thanks for your input, it's much appreciated and by the way, this is a great forum that I know I will be using quite a lot going forward.

Cheers
Clive
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Clive,

The mark between the 'V' and the 'CM' is the double-headed eagle symbol of Perth.

The mark before the 'V' may be part of a stylised thistle (upside down).

Trev.
Silver Arrow

Post by Silver Arrow »

Hi Trev

Once again, thank you for your help and confirmation that I now possess a Perth provincial teaspoon, which will make a nice addition to my Aberdeen masking spoon by Coline Allen.

Cheers
Clive

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”