identification of hallmark silver soup ladle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

The ladle weighs 204 grams.The length from tip of handle to front of bowl is 30,5 cm. The measurements of the bowl are 10,75 cm by 8 cm. ]The handle is slightly lopsided and seems to be the work perhaps of a rural or small town silversmith.

(admin photo edit - remember to use the preview feature)
dognose
Site Admin

Re: identification of hallmark silver soup ladle

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

An image of the marks is required if anyone is to help.

Trev.
Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

The ladle weighs 204 grams. The length from tip of handle to front of bowl is 30,5 cm. The measurements of the bowl are 10,75 cm by 8 cm. The handle is slightly lopsided and seems to be the work perhaps of a rural or small town silversmith.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Eckhard,

That is the work and one of the marks used by William Simpson (I) of Banff.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... son#p86995

Trev.
Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

Dear Trev (Trevor?)

Many many thanks for your reply. i didn't expect anything, and also not so quickly. Here in Johannesburg, South Africa, a reputable auction house, Stephan Welz ( previously Sothebys ), advised me that the marks were insufficient.

I initially thought thought of the ladle as Cape silver. Similar marks can be found, but there are many silver smiths whose hall marks remain unknown Checking Jackson (the abridged version), I thought of raising the question about Scottish provincial silver.

Could you possibly tell me who MCB is, who is quoted as providing the outline on William Simpson? And for the unlikely, can the "H", seemingly rubbed be explained?

Again, many many thanks

Yours sincerely

Eckhard Rodenwoldt ( would still like a English dognose spoon, but unfortunately, can only hunt for bargains, like that ladle)

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Eckhard,

I'm afraid Mike (MCB) passed away in 2013, see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 39&t=34855

The 'H' remains a mystery, at least to me, but the letters 'E', 'F' and 'G' are also to found on Banff silver on occasion.

Here's an image of a similar mark to your example:

Source: Illustrated Directory of Scottish Provincial Silversmiths & Their Marks - Richard W. Turner - 2014

Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”