Provincial Scottish spoon “EW” and “beetle” marks Perth?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Provincial Scottish spoon “EW” and “beetle” marks Perth?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello I have recently bought this teaspoon just to have an example of a Provincial Scottish spoon in my collection. I think it has not well-known marks though. An inter net reference suggested that “EW” may be the mark of the silversmith “Ewan Wilson” who worked in Perth. A photo is below.

The 2 figural marks I know are associated with provincial Scottish silver. I think of one mark as a flower vase with odd flowers in and the other as a beetle. I do not know what they are supposed to represent or how they are named. The “beetle” (I now note that “Dognose” calls this shape a “double headed eagle”), I believe is particularly associated with Perth but I read in an old antique book that a “lily vase” is associated with Dundee. The ”S” mark is also an enigma. It is unlikely to be a date mark but does it indicate “silver”? Does it indicate manufacture in Scotland? I note from another post that “Dognose” has some other ideas about these various extra letters. Please could Forum members give their opinions on the origin of my spoon and its marks.
There is an additional complication to the “EW”, Ewan Wilson mark as there is a similar mark attributed to a second silversmith of that name but working in Leith. The picture of the Leith mark I found on line was copyrighted but the marks are described as “8 pointed star, thistle, 8 pointed star and EW”. My personal observation on the “EW” cartouches is that the Leith attributed cartouche is more ovaloid than the very straight-sided cartouche on my spoon.
Incidentally if you took the 19th century ferry the 2 places are less than 50 miles apart.
Over to you now!
Yours
Fishless

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”