Dessert fork help with unknown marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

Dessert fork help with unknown marks

Post by mk209 »

I acquired this fiddle pattern dessert fork recently it's 925 or higher and weighs around 40g but I'm struggling with the marks. I'm sure I've seen similar marks before but cannot remember where? If anyone can help it'd be great, thanks.

Matt.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Dessert fork help with unknown marks

Post by dognose »

Hi Matt,

Another great find!

Joseph Lebrun of Malta. See: Maltese Silverware Information

Trev.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Wow thanks Trev! That is quite a surprise and a first for me, really happy! It's things like this that keep me searching and well worth spending the time to find.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hello Matt
Congratulations on the find.
May I ask you a favor ?
Since it is difficult to find in the books the mark of the clenched fist , can you post a picture more focused of this mark?
Regards
Amena
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Hi Amena I'm really in need of being able to photograph marks better and will get that sorted out soon but here's my best effort today please feel free to ask if any more are needed as you are very welcome.

Matt
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks Matt
excellent image.
For information, compares with the drawing that's on the book by Donaver Dabbene.
Regards
Amena
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Am I right in thinking from what I now know that the date range is 1798-1801 because of the 'R' ?
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I was hoping that someone more experienced than me would give a more authoritative answer, but at this point my answer will be better than nothing
On the book by Victor Denaro ,: "The Goldsmiths of Malta and Their marks", on page 122 we read:
In February 1800, Captain Alexander Ball, R. N., who had been elected Chief of the Maltese, found it expedient to appoint a Consul for Goldsmiths and another for Silversmiths in the territory occupied by the Insurgents. These must doubtlessly have adopted their own assay-mark for use in the area under their jurisdiction. It is more than probable that the mark employed showed a "clenched fist", a sign of defiance, which continued in use until 1801 when It was altered to an "open hand" ............. ... The letters R or M and,perhaps, F were always coupled with this mark.
However, on page 37 we read:
Nor do we know whether the stamp used by the consuls in the territory occupied by the Maltese insurgents Is that of the clenched fist used between 1800 and 1809, as no detail of the stamp was given to Captain Ball's bando of 1800.

Maybe it's a misprint?
There is a bit 'of confusion, but we must say that it is reasonable that the years of French occupation and the Valletta blockade were a bit' confused.
More reliable information from different books would be enlightening.
Amena
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Fascinating reading thank you, it's always a joy to find something out of the ordinary as it leads to a whole lot of information gathering and insight. The mark looks very different from what was pictured in the book, are there many examples of this mark known of? I'm glad this fork turned up in the UK and is safe from being scrapped as so many items are these days. I certainly appreciate it's history!

Matt.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Here are two examples:
On a pair of vases
On a small tray
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ese#p82454
Regards
Amena

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”