RG + Pseudo thistle?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

RG + Pseudo thistle?

Post by mk209 »

Just an ordinary Georgian dessert spoon typical of the 1790's onwards but with 'RG' and a pseudo thistle, the marks are superbly struck and I really thought I'd seen these marks before but cannot find any reference to them?

Hopefully something interesting as it's been a while for any good finds.

Matt.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: RG + Pseudo thistle?

Post by dognose »

Hi Matt,

Yes, it is interesting. I would say that is one of the marks used by Robert Gordon of Madras.

A nice find!

Trev.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Thanks for that info Trev it's my first Indian Colonial piece. It was bought for just under it's scrap value as it was dented and bashed but it's tidied up really well so I'm very pleased. If only I could get myself to part with these items I'd be richer but like any collector it's a case of I'd rather be poor than sell any of it! I'm sure I'll need help one day for my addiction..........
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

My condolences, but I'm afraid there's no hope or help out there for you Matt, once you have it, you have it for life.

It's best just to reside here and console yourself in the company of your fellow sufferers!

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Yes I also suffer from this obsession ::: My heart starts racing when I see a good piece in a pile of scrap silver, and I try to remain calm, but sometimes I cannot ::: I think it is about saving a piece of history, but it is also an obsession :::
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The quote explains the thistle mark.
National Museums Scotland
http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... -086-677-C
Robert Gordon was a member of an extended family of craftsmen with Aberdeen connections who settled in India.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”