South African Napkin ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

South African Napkin ring

Post by JanGroen »

Good day
I have this following napkin ring hallmarked with sterling marks for South Africa. Any idea who the maker can be. Man riding a horse.
Thank you
Jannie
x

x
dognose
Site Admin

Re: South African Napkin ring

Post by dognose »

Hi Jannie,

The maker's mark is thought to represent a lad by the name of Dick King who rode from Durban to Grahamstown to carry the message that Durban was being attacked by the Boers. The mark was used by a, believed, Durban silversmith around the 1950's - 1960's period. I did have lead on the silversmith's name, but cannot remember if I ever followed it up. I'll try and dig out the information.

Trev.
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

dognose wrote:Hi Jannie,

The maker's mark is thought to represent a lad by the name of Dick King who rode from Durban to Grahamstown to carry the message that Durban was being attacked by the Boers. The mark was used by a, believed, Durban silversmith around the 1950's - 1960's period. I did have lead on the silversmith's name, but cannot remember if I ever followed it up. I'll try and dig out the information.

Trev.

thanks Trev. I do have the date letters for RSA somewhere. My other South African pieces are mostly made by SA Munt, Pretoria Munt or by Kruger Park.

Jannie
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The maker in question was Norman Watson of Durban, see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... on#p139828

Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”