Scottish provincial?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

Scottish provincial?

Post by paulh »

I am trying to figure out who made this Old English table spoon. The initials seem to be “G S” in script. The thrice struck mark is similar to the Cancer mark used by certain Aberdeen silversmiths. Am I putting two and two together to make five in leaning towards George Sangster?

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Scottish provincial?

Post by dognose »

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure what to make of this one. The three marks on the right appear to have been made by striking the punch at an angle from opposite directions, that is to say, two strikes to each mark. It's certainly a different punch than the maker's mark, but I'm not sure if it meant to represent anything in particular.

It's a mystery to me.

Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

I see what you mean Trev. I shall claim that it is the Loch Ness Monster and it is the only know piece of Drumnadrochit silver!

Paul.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

I am also wondering about the possibility of a George Smith duty dodger. I do have a few on which he has simply distorted the mark to obscure it. Maybe this is a variation on a theme.
user701
contributor

Post by user701 »

Like PaulH I have also had George Smith duty dogded spoons, one I remember, was GS four times in the similar script as this spoon.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Interested in this "cancer mark" of which you speak ::: I am trying to buy a serving spoon with a fancy-back bowl
and the only hallmarks are [L] [L] [L] and each [L] is in a script that looks to my eyes like the British Pound Symbol :::

I wondered if it was a comment on the high price in pounds for the duty, and hence the dodging :::

Now that I see this thread, I am leaning towards English Duty Dodging and possibly provincial :::

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”