Provincial dognose spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

Provincial dognose spoon?

Post by mk209 »

I’m sure I’ve seen this mark before but not having any books or resources here I cannot look. It looks like WP in script followed by two other marks. The kind Victorians have put their mark on this spoon but it’s still an interesting one. Any help would be great to identify and give an approximate date for this.

Matt.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Provincial dognose spoon?

Post by dognose »

Hi Matt,

To me, it appears that the two oblong marks have been disfigured with a graver, then over-struck with two other, perhaps meaningless, marks. If I am correct, these marks may have been applied by whoever cobbled the spoon in Victorian times, perhaps fearful and not fully knowing the details of the laws regarding the alteration of items post-hallmarking. I can think of no other reason why two likely official marks have been obliterated but the maker's mark left undisturbed.

If the marks have been destroyed, then it's all down to finding the mysterious 'WP' or 'WB'(?).

Trev.
mk209
contributor

Re: Provincial dognose spoon?

Post by mk209 »

I did wonder about the struck marks, they looked like marks within marks. I fear you are right though, I will examine the marks more closely.

Many thanks for the input and the eagled-eyed observation, even if it’s bad news it’s still good to find out.

Matt.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”