Argo? Allen? or ???

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverSurfer
contributor

Argo? Allen? or ???

Post by SilverSurfer »

I have incoming an early Xmas present, an Old English pattern silver soup ladle that was presented by the seller as circa 1830 by unknown smith LA of Aberdeen. Given the pattern and maker's mark, I believe it's from about fifty years earlier, perhaps by John Argo of nearby Banff in around 1775-80, or, failing that, maybe John Allen of Aberdeen, (identified for years 1794-1808, but mark not shown in Jackson's). Might anyone be able to share some insight on this piece? TIA!

moonshine

Re: Argo? Allen? or ???

Post by moonshine »

Certainly seems to match the John Argo mark on incorporationofgoldsmiths site.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi SS,

It's a difficult one, the 'IA' mark is indeed a good match, as moonshine has noted, for the one on the Incorporation website, however, the 'ABD' is also a good match for the punch used by John Allen, as shown in Richard Turner's 'Illustrated Directory of Scottish Provincial Silversmiths & Their Marks'.

I suppose there may be several scenarios here. As that particular 'IA' mark attributed to Argo is found, to my knowledge, as a single struck mark on items and the 'IA' punch used in conjunction with the 'BA' appears to be a different one, could the attribution be incorrect? Or as Argo is thought to have spent time in Aberdeen, could the 'ABD' punch be a shared one?

Hopefully another member may add their thoughts.

Trev.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thank you for your responses. Whether the maker's mark is actually for Argo or Allen, it appears to me that whoever fashioned the IA punch also made the ABD stamp, observing the similarity of the letters, particularly the general construction of and the serifs on the A marks. Other considerations are welcome!

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”