JO mark on silver salt spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samtron76df

JO mark on silver salt spoon

Post by samtron76df »

Salt spoon marked JO. Have looked but can't find this mark anywhere. Would anyone know who this is? Thanks in advance.

WesternPA
contributor

Re: JO mark on silver salt spoon

Post by WesternPA »

Might be worth posting this thread to the British colonial area; it has that feel.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Two possibilities for Scottish provincial makers would be James Orr of Greenock and Joseph Onions of Dundee, both of whom are thought to have used a 'JO' mark, however, of the marks attributed to these makers, although similar, neither are a perfect match. That said, other punches may have been in use and both were known spoon-makers.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Just for further research, sone known Canadian silversmiths with the initials 'J.O.':

John Oakes - Montreal
Joseph Obrihim - Nova Scotia
John O'Donahoe - Quebec
John O'Gorman - Toronto

Trev.
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Thank you. I'm fairly new to collecting and wouldn't think that the makers you listed used simply one mark like their initials. Was that done before a certain period? I tried to look up some makers via this site and didn't find any that matched. Will dig further. Thanks again.
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Is there any other good book on Canadian silver other than Langdon's? It's pretty pricey. I have made the rounds to the various major websites that list Canadian makers and they are all fairly incomplete. Any suggestions on reference publications appreciated. I just bought a huge book on english/irish/scottish silver and hope that will provide info on some makers...

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”