mark of anchor, ship, C and something else

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samtron76df

mark of anchor, ship, C and something else

Post by samtron76df »

Not sure if this is the right section but posting here. This is on a serving spoon that looks to be from the late 1700's. There is actually another mark before the anchor but it is very faded. Can anyone identify? Tks.

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: mark of anchor, ship, C and something else

Post by SteveDWollongong »

They are provincial assay marks of the Scottish town of Greenock. The clippership, anchor,stylised oak tree and letter G were all used in different combinations by different makers with the addition of their makers mark. The rubbed mark you mention will be a makers mark. A strong candidate for the maker of your spoon is Thomas Davie who's mark of TD has been seen with the same combination of marks as yours.

cheers,
Steve
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Thank you very much. I was way off. Searched Greencock on the web and it looks like a beautiful place. Appreciate the help identifying this piece.
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, just added this teaspoon to my silver menagerie.

Looks like it has the basic Greenock anchor and oak tree marks on together with "TD" in an oval. This seems similar to some of the images described earlier in this post that now are missing. Thomas Davie probably made my spoon too.

Fishless

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”