Tasmanian Sargison's-style server: Maker suggestions?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Tasmanian Sargison's-style server: Maker suggestions?

Post by SilverK »

Hi,

I have this nice Tasmanian arts and crafts style server very similar to that made by Sargison's, however the maker's mark is 'MM', rather than Sargison's, and so far MM eludes me, hence this message to the forum. Perhaps MM worked for Sargison's and then struck out on their own after Sargison's retirement in 1980. I'm aware that others made items very similar in design to Sargison's as well, so maybe there's something rather more complicated going on. The full marks read SILVER MM HOBART.

Any information would be much appreciated, especially the maker's name!

Thanks,

Silverk.

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: Tasmanian Sargison's-style server: Maker suggestions?

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Silverk,

You are spot on with your hypothesis. The maker is Margaret Mather and she worked for Sargisons for the length of her entire career between 1947 and 1994. While working for Sargisons she also operated from a home workshop where she manufactured under her own MM mark and is noted for sometimes including the HOBART mark as per your example.

Mather was born in Hobart c1919 and died there in 2002.

Ref: Christine Erratt; Marks on Australian Silver 150 - 2005, p131.

Cheers,
Steve
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for such a detailed response and so quickly! Even knowing her name I can't really find anything about her on the internet! Just proves the value of this forum and the generously provided knowledge of those providing the answers such as you.

Thanks again,

Silverk.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Is there some kind of Tasmanian Secrecy Act in play? Later-era Magaret Mather name comes up only twice...first in a pay-per-view document on Sargison...second in a family tree (not specifically Hobart) having a sister and a mother who would have only been 13 years old in 1919. The father's first wife was alive until c.1923, and no indication if he ever married the girls' mother. No birth dates were shown for the girls. In addition, no obits for Margaret. Why is the Hobart MM so hard to find?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Not sure if he is the correct father for this Margaret, but Oscar Charles Mather was listed as a blacksmith by occupation when he enlisted for WWI. Came from north end of the island on the main rail line down to Hobart. Returned in 1919. Wife 1922-23. Her younger sister /cousin (?) listed as mother of the girls.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”