Help needed with spoon id.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
juantotree
contributor

Help needed with spoon id.

Post by juantotree »

Hi

First of all apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place ,but I am at a loss as to the origins of this spoon. It is a small Hanoverian rat-tail tea spoon, it looks old and not a later reproduction of an earlier stye.

It is marked with a single makers mark only, possibly AB, does anybody have any ideas on who the maker could be and where it originated?

Many Thanks
Martin

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help needed with spoon id.

Post by dognose »

Hi Martin,

Can you post a larger image of the spoon itself?

Trev.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi Trev, does this help?

Martin

Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

I think the maker's mark is IB (or JB) but i couldn't find a match with any British silversmith's mark and it's also lacking the assay marks and the orientation of the maker's mark is also different than typically. I also tried to look around American coin silver hallmarks but couldn't find a match either. The crest would suggest it's British (crests separated from the rest of the coat of arms weren't used in continental heraldry) but somehow the style of the crest doesn't look that British. It's rather large compared to the crests usually seen but this could be explained by a provincial maker. Another possibility could be that it's for example a Norwegian (or Danish) imitation of a British spoon; some examples of this with a rather clumsy decoration have been seen on the forum recently. But the style is early to middle 18th century and the spoon does look old.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Thank you for taking the time to research this. Unfortunately it looks like another example to join my collection of unidentifiable pieces.

Martin
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Hi, I believe your spoon is by London Silversmith John Bryan. It matches up with Jackson's and Grimwade's. It looks like he worked in the 1730's but I can't find any additional info on him. Hopefully, someone else can shed some light. Beautiful spoon by the way.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

legrandmogol wrote:Hi, I believe your spoon is by London Silversmith John Bryan. It matches up with Jackson's and Grimwade's. It looks like he worked in the 1730's but I can't find any additional info on him. Hopefully, someone else can shed some light. Beautiful spoon by the way.
Thank you and well spotted, it does seem to match Grimwade 1183, what do others think and if confirmed please move to the London section.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”