Identify Maker 'A&S', Birmingham (c) 1850 please

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
EnT

Identify Maker 'A&S', Birmingham (c) 1850 please

Post by EnT »

Hello forum.

Could someone please help identify the Birmingham maker A & S on a vinaigrette dated 1849 please.

The marks are as clear as I can get them. Click the thumbnail to enlarge the image.

Top mark is one the lid and bottom on the base.

Thank you in advance,

Ian T
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hi Ian-

I am new to this also, but I think it is "Thomas Aston & William Aston", registered Birmingham 6 August 1857, the date letter on yours looks like a "K" ? and with the shape of the cartouche would date it to 1859? Could be one of the later K's also. here is the Birmingham assay office where I found this, perhaps you could better match the date mark while there also.

http://www.theassayoffice.uk.com/esh/accept.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards- Byron
EnT

Post by EnT »

Byron,

Thank you. How did I miss that!?

I searched the Birmingham Assay site before I posted here and didn't find the A&S mark. I think what threw me was not being able to enter the '&'. Tried it again without the '&' just entering AS and up it popped.

Thanks again, as always the forum comes to the rescue!

Ian T
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hi Ian-

Did you figure out the date mark? the picture is not clear enough for me to tell for sure which letter it is.

Regards- Byron
EnT

Post by EnT »

Byron,

Actually I made a typo in the original post. It is a 'K' anf I meant to type 1859 and not 49. Good spot as the date letter was very obscure in my photo.

Ian T
DaveJvu

Re: Identify Maker 'A&S', Birmingham (c) 1850 please

Post by DaveJvu »

Good evening

I was interested too find this entry to find this entry on-line as I "Googled" Aston & Son... I am slowly reading up and gathering information regarding these silversmiths - My interst being that the Son, William, married Sarah Harrison, my 3x great grand Aunt...

As an avid Birmingham Silver collector for some years (I started the genealogy a few months ago!) it is a strange coincidence to find this connection to my Mother's Harrisons - They were Birmingham Jewellers, Silversmiths, Goldsmiths, Gem setters, etc...

I would certainly be interested to learn more about Thomas and William Aston as well as the Harrisons.

Oddly enough there are marriage connections to the Stokes & Ireland Silversmiths and others as well.

I have discovered that my 4x great Grandfather, Henry Harrison (1786) and his sons Henry (1813) and Joseph (1815) had their business at 4 Howard Street, Birmingham. Listed in the business directories of the period as "Manufacturing Jewellers and real Jet ornament manufacturers" - They also appear in the "Gilt Toy Makers" catagory as well..

I have not found any manufacturers hallmark to identify them in reference books or on-line - I would be grateful for any advice.

Best regards

David Farrell
2209patrick
co-admin

Re: Identify Maker 'A&S', Birmingham (c) 1850 please

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Frank.

Here's their mark that was entered at Birmingham in 1857.

Pat.

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”