London Maker CLH Help Please

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Badger3000

London Maker CLH Help Please

Post by Badger3000 »

Hello, I have a plain sugar tong dated 1820 (London) with the Makers mark CLH all merged together please see pics. Does any one know who the maker was and any history is appreciated.
Many Thanks Badger

dognose
Site Admin

Re: London Maker CLH Help Please

Post by dognose »

Hi Badger,

The reason you cannot read the maker's mark is that you are not supposed to be able to identify the maker, for the marks are forgeries.

However, in this case the maker is known, Henry Day.

See three posts regarding the infamous Mr. Day here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=36614

Trev.
Badger3000

Post by Badger3000 »

Thanks Trev
Badger
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Although the marks are forgeries, the tongs may well be silver, and up to standard. Often such fake marks were applied purely to avoid the duty and assay charges. The cost of being found out was often transportation for seven years, but incredibly enough, some were still willing to take the risk.

Trev.
Badger3000

Post by Badger3000 »

Thanks Trev,
Yes they are definitely silver and I am half way trough changing them into a bangle. I always send off my hallmarked silver bangles to the London assay office to gain a certificate to allow me to change their use but as the marks are fake
What would the London assay office do with the tongs if I sent them off to them? Keep them ? Do you know?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I cannot be sure, but the LAO will likely deface the marks by applying a 'X' stamp through them.

Trev.

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”