Identification help required

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
mcmcheez

Identification help required

Post by mcmcheez »

Help required with identification please, I am not sure if these are faded due to age, polishing or both.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Identification help required

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
You entered wrong image codes. Managed to embed two images.
Marks are really worn out. They look British,though (possibly upside down).
Are there more marks on the lid? That might help.
Regards
mcmcheez

Post by mcmcheez »

Apologies, for format errors. Picture of lid.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Unfortunately, lower part of the cartouche (background) cannot be seen, it`s crucial to determine assay office.
There is lion passant and date letter (possibly letter ``o``) but that`s not enough.
Regards
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi,

Fortunately the makers mark is identifiable. Usually this wouldn't be the case with such worn marks but as you can see each initial has the unusual feature of being in it's own cartouche. First letter H and the second (and more worn), fits with M being the often seen maker Henry Mathews of Birmingham. His makers mark was registered in both Birmingham and Chester but from the little that can be seen of the three cartouche shapes in the original photos none are the shield of Chester. So by default it is Birmingham.

The Birmingham mark was registered in June 1893 and has been seen up until 1930, so yours will most likely lie somewhere within this timeframe. I agree with AG2012 that the date letter O is probably the best candidate which would place it at 1913 but I cannot be sure either. Perhaps under strong magnification you may be be able to positively identify the date letter yourself?

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”