Harrods RWB Hallmarks that I can't quite fathom

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Markaty

Harrods RWB Hallmarks that I can't quite fathom

Post by Markaty »

Hi guys

I've got a stamp holder stamped RWB which I know to be Harrods but everything else about the hallmarks are a mystery to me

For one thing, it looks as though it has an import mark, which, given that Harrods is in London, I can't quite understand.

Another difficulty I'm having is in placing the date mark - the closest match to me seems to be the date for 2002 but that can't be right can it?

I've attached a picture of the hallmarks. If anyone wants to see a picture of the item itself let me know!

Markaty

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Harrods RWB Hallmarks that I can't quite fathom

Post by silvermakersmarks »

No mystery here! Your stamp holder was manufactured elsewhere, probably in continental Europe (I can't make out the other marks apart from a "925"), and imported to Britain. Before it could be legally sold as silver it had to pass an assay, so the London Assay Office's import mark confirms that it is up to standard.

The date letter is C for 1938. Note that the punch shapes for import mark date letters differ from "normal" date letters.

Phil
Markaty

Post by Markaty »

silvermakersmarks wrote:No mystery here! Your stamp holder was manufactured elsewhere, probably in continental Europe (I can't make out the other marks apart from a "925"), and imported to Britain. Before it could be legally sold as silver it had to pass an assay, so the London Assay Office's import mark confirms that it is up to standard.

The date letter is C for 1938. Note that the punch shapes for import mark date letters differ from "normal" date letters.

Phil
Thanks so much Phil!

That's cleared it up for me. One other thing though if you would indulge me....is there are resource I can refer to for import mark dates given that they differ from the domestic ones? Or is there a simpler way of determining the date?
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The letter itself is the same, but in a square punch with cut corners as in your pictures, although for London import marks until 1935 the punches are the same shape as the non-import version. I do not know of a good published resource for import marks; "Jackson’s Silver and Gold Marks of England, Scotland and Ireland" is good for London but not for the other assay offices.

Phil

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”