Confirm date, help with maker on George III mug?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
whitecross

Confirm date, help with maker on George III mug?

Post by whitecross »

Just got this mug. The seller claimed it was 1793, and that the maker is James Phipps I. The date letter looks correct for 1793, but the date letter for 1813 looks similar, too, and the duty mark could allow for either.

I couldn't find a mark for Phipps in the marks on this site.

It doesn't look unlike John Bull. Thoughts or directions you might send me?

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Confirm date, help with maker on George III mug?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Definitely 1793 - the bar across the date letter is very helpful in distinguishing 1793 from 1813. The maker is a little more problematic as we can't see the whole second letter meaning that it could be I·P, I·R or I·B. My best guess would be I·R for John Robins.

Phil
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I might also add that if it were I·B possible candidates would be John Bull and John Brockwell, both registered as smallworkers, or, more probably, John Beldon, registered as a plateworker in 1784. The lettering in John Bull's mark, as illustrated by Grimwade, is smaller than we see here. Brockwell registered his mark in March 1794 so could have had silver marked with this 1793/94 hallmark.
whitecross

Post by whitecross »

Thank you, silvermakersmarks!

I looked into those marks. I liked John Robbins as a good match. And then I found this. I know this was a common form by this period. But if seems at least a strong possibility. At least it doesn't rule out Robbins as a possible maker.

Here is my new piece (1793):

And John Robbins, 1798(?).

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”