William Aitkin?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
ladymacbeth1263

William Aitkin?

Post by ladymacbeth1263 »

I had William Aitkin written in my notes. Does anyone have an idea on the WA? I think it is Birmingham 1900. Nice sterling pill case or snuff box?
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: William Aitkin?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I can confirm that this is the mark of William Aitken (note spelling) but the date letter d is for the assay year 1903/04.

You don't mention the size but as there is a clip/loop for a retaining band could it be a cigarette or cheroot case?

Phil
ladymacbeth1263

Thank you. No, no loop. the case is approx. 2 x 3 inches and is curved like a hip flask. I will upload a picture.
ladymacbeth1263

No, no loop. the case is approx. 2 x 3 inches and is curved like a hip flask. I will upload a picture
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This what I meant by clip/loop - I don't know the correct term:

I note that there is what appears to be a matching clip/loop on the opposite side. These would have held an elasticated band to keep the cigarettes in place when the case was opened.
ladymacbeth1263

silvermakersmarks wrote:This what I meant by clip/loop - I don't know the correct term:

I note that there is what appears to be a matching clip/loop on the opposite side. These would have held an elasticated band to keep the cigarettes in place when the case was opened.
YES! You are a genius...LOL. Seriously, thanks so much! there are 2 of them on each side of the case.

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”