Magnifying Glass

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
chefcop65

Magnifying Glass

Post by chefcop65 »

Hi purchased a siver handled magnifying glass. It was a sheffield 1909 hallmark on the handle. But on the silver metal lens holder it has a totally different mark. There is an N followd by a J then what looks like a 5 leaf clover finally a D.

Can anyone help to identify the mark please. I have researched extensively without success.

Peter
chefcop65

Re: Magnifying Glass

Post by chefcop65 »

[quote="chefcop65"]Hi purchased a siver handled magnifying glass. It was a sheffield 1909 hallmark on the handle. But on the silver metal lens holder it has a totally different mark. There is an N followd by a J then what looks like a 5 leaf clover finally a D.

Can anyone help to identify the mark please. I have researched extensively without success.

I have an image of the mark i can send but am unsure how to add it to this post.

Peter
chefcop65

Post by chefcop65 »

IMG_2115.jpg
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

In order to post your picture you must upload it to an online photo-hosting site.

Phil
chefcop65

Post by chefcop65 »

thanks here is the link, i hope

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I can't help with a name for NJ D. However I do not think that the rim is silver (a) as there is no sort of fineness indication and (b) as I suspect that the small mark to the right may read EP, which, if I am correct, would stand for electroplate. There seem to have been quite a lot of knife handles being re-purposed recently with magnifying glasses being one of the more popular products. The glass and rim are therefore almost certainly very modern; i.e. within the last 10 years.

Phil
chefcop65

Post by chefcop65 »

Phil

Thanks for the info, knew it was a marriage and doubted it was silver, the small stamp i thought was L P but could easy be a worn E.

Just my wife got it for my birthday and i like to research these things, but cant find any sign of a maker hence the post.

Certainly seems big business the knife conversion though.

Would sill like to find a maker, im stubborn like that, but thinks it unlikely.

Thanks again

Peter
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Does that flower look Asian? Japan made a lot of repro items over time so, N or J could been for Nippon or Japan in a company name/mark. We can't see the full final object's style here, so Numismatist, Philatelist, Militaria, and Nautical sites can hold similar objects with oddball maker names. (While there may still be some good optical glass companies left, the vast majority of recently made lenses just suck. How's your view through this one?)
A number of these mated handles are home done jobs, so it may not turn out to be a current production line situation. [And yes, these home crafters are driving everyone crazy as they continue to destroy items under the guise of re-purposing. Nails driven through perfectly good antique sterling tablespoons to make a kitchen menu chalkboard. Railroad flatware bent to form a golfer's leg. I've seen a ton of it! I ran into one of these guys and after explaining topmarks to him, he decided not to wreck any more things before examining them further.]
chefcop65

Post by chefcop65 »

chefcop65

Post by chefcop65 »

To be honest it seems very well made and the lens appears very good optically. Wouldnt be surprised if it was silver.

Would just like to decipher the mark. It seems strange to me for it to have a mark at all, suppose its possible that this is a replacement handle.

Peter
chefcop65

Post by chefcop65 »

Hi

have had a closer look at the mark and the flower thing looks like a clover to me :-)

Peter
chefcop65

Post by chefcop65 »

Hi

Wondered if anyone had any luck with the mark I posted. I still can not work it out.

Peter

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”