TE / GS on spoon - Thomas Evans & George Smith (?)

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

Granmaa
co-admin

TE / GS on spoon - Thomas Evans & George Smith (?)

Post by Granmaa »

This is from one of my old posts. I apologise for the shoddy photo, but I no longer have the spoons. No. 3820 in Grimwade and often attributed to Thomas Evans and George Smith III(?).
I think the date letter is 1769 but could very well be 1759.

Miles
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ight=evans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

buckler

Post by buckler »

Almost certainly as you suggest Thomas Evans and George Smith.
Luke Shrager reports that Goldsmiths Hall have a record of their partnership 1769 -1771 although they do not appear to have registered this mark !
buckler

Re: TE / GS on spoon - Thomas Evans & George Smith (?)

Post by buckler »

There are spoons with a unregistered mark of TE/ GS in the period to 1769.

Although usually attrubuted to a known partnership between Thomas Evans and George Smith III these could relate to a partnership between Thomas Eaton and George Smith II . Thomas Eaton was a cousin of George Smith's wife and his Wood Street address adjoins Huggin Lane the address of George's old master, Samuel Eaton and George' s address subsequently.

As Thomas was two or three years dead before the 1769 spoons were assayed, it seems unlikely unless either George stlll used the old marks, or spoon collectors have misread the date letters. Does anyone have firm evidence of a post 1766 mark of TE/ GS ?

It should be born in mind that George Smith II ( the Huggins Lane bucklemaker) and/or his wife were capable of anything !

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”