Is this usual/common

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

Nickrj

Is this usual/common

Post by Nickrj »

Hello all, this is my first post and as there seems to be a wealth of experience here I wonder if someone can help with this enquiry.

My wife inherited what I believe to be a very old oval silver snuff box. She is not convinced it is silver, it is very black/grubby on the outside but brighter inside, she inherited it from an elderly lady she looked after until she died and it was used to keep curtain hooks in it! The lid of the box carries what appears to be an unusual family crest, far too complicated to describe but I will photograph it if I can if anyone thinks it worthwhile. Inside both the lid and the box there appears to be a hallmark but only two marks exist, what I believe is what is known as the lion head erased, cartoon like sde view of an heraldic looking lion head I think with it's tongue poking out and what I think is a makers mark with the letters TO inside a ring of solid circles. There are no ther marks giving a year letter or anything else. Would this suggest that the item is not silver? I will try and photograph the marks if anyone thinks it is worth further investigation but from my limited research on the net the Lion/Leopards head seems to be an early'ish mark, if I'm interpreting the mark correctly, it is a little worn after sitting under the metal curtain hooks!

Many thanks.

Nick
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Is this usual/common

Post by dognose »

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images.

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.tinypic.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
Nickrj

Post by Nickrj »

Thank you Trev,
I in fact managed to look more closely at the item yesterday evening and found the rest of the hallmark on the inside rim of the lower part of the box. The marks are worn in places as that is where the two surfaces meet but the marks were sufficiently clear to enable me to identify the year mark, A backward facing, angular capital letter B and the Britannia symbol which I understand dates the box to 1697. Unfortunately the makers mark I've not been able to identify anywhere on the web. I have tried to photograph it but have not had time yest to download the photograph and see how distinctly the photograph has come out. When I do I will post it as I see from another post that someone is looking for the marks of London makers not previously identified. I now need to identify the Coat of Arms on the box, which I believe from a certain symbol belonged to the higher ranks of nobility....it's all rather exciting! Next stop, the College of Arms.
Nick
buckler

Post by buckler »

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. The makers mark is almost certainly given in Grimwade !

I wish you luck with the College of Arms - I suspect that their charges will be as exalted as their position .

If it is really too expensive , I know someone reliable who would probably be much more reasonable.
Still not cheap, but better !
Clive
buckler

Post by buckler »

Hi

Sorry to see you have not posted any photos yet.
It's not that hard !
Really !

Could you please do this in the next four weeks or we regret that we may need to delete this thread.
Which would be a pity for everyone as the items sound interesting .
Thanks

The Moderators

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”