Please help solve the mystery of the item of Walker & Hall

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
Ulyana

Please help solve the mystery of the item of Walker & Hall

Post by Ulyana »

Hello,

I have a family tea glass holder of Walker & Hall. It is hard & silver and made in Sheffield in 1895. There is a monogram on the bottom of the item. I would like know whose are initials on the item, who was an owner this item? I would appreciate it if you could help me.

Best regards,

Ulyana.

Links removed by admin
Last edited by oel on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cookies/complains
Francais

Re: Please help solve the mystery of the item of Walker & Ha

Post by Francais »

Welcome to the forum, I don't know if the question was translated correctly, but no one is going to be able to tell you the owner's name.
The initials are not easy either. I think it is AM but then the last letter or two letters might be S or T or F or C or a combination of two of those.
So the whole would be AMSF perhaps.
Maurice
nobilityhouse
contributor

Post by nobilityhouse »

NOTA BENE: Three cookies from a .ru domain were placed on my computer when I clicked on the first picture.
Francais

Post by Francais »

Good point. We all know that most cookies are benign. However a lot of links are dangerous. Maybe the administrators should think about the idea of just telling people to post the pictures to the site, or forget it. I personally am going to be more careful about clicking on links from new people.
Ulyana

Post by Ulyana »

Francais wrote:Good point. We all know that most cookies are benign. However a lot of links are dangerous. Maybe the administrators should think about the idea of just telling people to post the pictures to the site, or forget it. I personally am going to be more careful about clicking on links from new people.
I am sorry, but I cannot put my picture on the site other way. Help me please.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Ulyana,

Welcome to the Forum.

Herewith some helpful information, including how to add images. Good luck!
How to Add Images
Posting Requirements

Please check quality of image by using preview button before submit.
Embedded images are getting a far better response

Oel.
Ulyana

Post by Ulyana »

Hello Oel,

Thanks for your information and references.
I hope my pictures will not be dangerous for all of the members of the forum.

Ulyana.

Ulyana

Post by Ulyana »

Francais wrote:Welcome to the forum, I don't know if the question was translated correctly, but no one is going to be able to tell you the owner's name.
The initials are not easy either. I think it is AM but then the last letter or two letters might be S or T or F or C or a combination of two of those.
So the whole would be AMSF perhaps.
Maurice
Hello Maurice,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I don't know English well. I would like to say : " Is it possible to call names and surnames if you know only initials of people? Is this an English monogram? Two same tea glass holder are in Russia.

Regards,

Ulyana.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

It is not possible to deduce an English name just from initials, but anyway this looks to me as if it could be Russian like the other two pieces you mention: АМП, perhaps for a first name, patronymic and surname ( имя отчество и фамилия)?
Francais

Post by Francais »

I agree, I should have thought of cyrillic letters too. The only person who could say who owned them, would be a member of the family.
Maurice
Ulyana

Post by Ulyana »

Maurice and agphile, I am grateful for your help.
A lot of people visit this forum. Could anyone answer my questions, please?
1. What do English company have any old catalogues of Walker & Hall in England?
2. Perhaps somebody knows who was a designer of the tea glass holder or who did work as a designer in the company of Walker & Hall in 1895?
3. Who could work as engraver in the company that time?
4. Were any company in England which registered monograms that time?
5. Is any company in England which could help deciphering this monogram? How much does it cost?
Ulyana.
nobilityhouse
contributor

Post by nobilityhouse »

It is very unusual that this posting has the exact picture from a topic in this Family Crest forum by paulh with the title Monogram deciphering, posted on Sun Oct 13, 2013. I had suggested this answer: "Perhaps it is Cyrillic alphabet for the letters A M Pe. The final letter being like the Greek Pi." This item was once in Cheshire, England and is now in Russia? The silver really gets around.
Ulyana

Post by Ulyana »

nobilityhouse thanks for your reply. Some Russian experts found this monogram is Russian too. They see Cyrillic letters АМП. The tea glass holder was not in England. paulh wanted to help me and put a topic "Monogram deciphering" in the Family Crest forum. Unfortunately, I did not know about it and duplicated his topic in Silverplated Trademarks - Worldwide. My topic was moving to the Family Crest forum later on.
Ulyana

Post by Ulyana »

Hello all,
I would like to show you two more tea glass holders of Walker & Hall which are in Russia. The first tea glass holder made in 1896. It has no a monogram. The second one made in 1915. There is a monogram on the bottom of it. My tea glass holder is older than the second one twenty years but both monograms are same. What do it mean?
Image- two items
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The two monograms side by side for comparison:

Image Image

Considering the age gap, could we be looking at items supplied by Walker & Hall to a commercial enterprise, a hotel or restaurant perhaps?

Trev.
Ulyana

Post by Ulyana »

dognose wrote: Considering the age gap, could we be looking at items supplied by Walker & Hall to a commercial enterprise, a hotel or restaurant perhaps?

Trev.
Hi Trev, Thanks for your version. We think those monograms aren't family. We study in detail similar version in Russia too.

Ulyana.
Ulyana

Re: Please help solve the mystery of the item of Walker & Hall

Post by Ulyana »

Hello Again,
I have found two more items with a similar monogram in Arkhangelsk (Russia). The first piece is a teapot, also made by Walker & Hall in Sheffield, but it is manufactured in 1896. The second piece is a Dutch ware stand for eggs. When, where and who it was made by is unknown. There is an assumption that it is foreign production as well. This item does not fit with the profile of the forum. Can I post its picture? The monogram on the teapot and the stand for eggs differs in size from the monogram on the tea glass holders. Its dimensions are approximately 3 cm x 3.5 cm. According to one of the versions, these items were used on the steamers of the Arkhangelsk-Murmansk Express steamship company, which was founded in 1875. The Office of the shipping company was located in Arkhangelsk. The company ships were built at the shipyards of England, for instance: at DOBSON & Co in Newcastle.
I would like to know:
1. Whether the Russian monogram АМП could be made at Walker & Hall while manufacturing kitchen utensils for the Russian ships?
2. Which companies were responsible for bulk purchasing of Walker & Hall production to equip newly-built ships for Russia from 1895 to 1915?
Regards,
Ulyana

Return to “Family Crests”