kurban

help with crest on salver

Post by kurban »

hello, need help with crest on sterling salver by Charles price London 1832

davidappleton
contributor

Re: help with crest on salver

Post by davidappleton »

There is no crest on this achievement of arms. (A crest is normally placed atop the helmet, rather like the crests of certain species of birds.)

The motto looks like "Dum vigilo parr" [While I watch ...] I was unable to find this motto in Fairbairn's Crests, but Fairbairn does give "Dum vigilo paro" [While I watch, I prepare], and a similar motto, "Dum vigilo tutus" (While I watch, I am safe), to the Gordon family.

But I could find no Gordons with this coat of arms in Burke's General Armory. (Most of the Gordon arms have three boar's heads on them.) Indeed, I have been so far unsuccessful in identifying any of the four quarters on this shield; Burke's, Papworth's Ordinary of British Arms, the Dictionary of British Arms, and Balfour Paul's An Ordinary of Arms, have all been unhelpful.

I'm sorry I have not been of greater assistance to you.

David
kurban

Re: help with crest on salver

Post by kurban »

Thank you, I am just starting to try to understand crests and coats of arms as I often see them on silver objects but have usually just regarded them as very nice engraving, but understand they have much more meaning. Your post was still very helpful.

Thanks again, Kevin...

Return to “Family Crests”