Strange ?fake silver ladle

Do not post mark questions here.
Steepch

Strange ?fake silver ladle

Post by Steepch »

I recently bought a large 200g ladle on eBay and am not sure what to make of it. I thought it looked like silver in the pictures but when I received it the surface looks more like chrome plate with none of the normal tarnish. It passed the magnet test showing a slight attraction to the magnet but showed no oxidation at all with the bleach test. I am wondering if it is a complete fake although it would seem strange for someone to go to the trouble of faking such an object, or could it be chrome plated silver, has anyone heard of this or have any other ideas?
Joerg
contributor

Re: Strange ?fake silver ladle

Post by Joerg »

Hi and welcome to the forum
we see a 800 mark which should indicate 80% silver content. But we also see a mark "ITALY". All Italian silver must comply with the marking rule for Italy. See the section "Italian marks". All this is missing here. And yes, there are bubles visible, indicating a coating.
This is not silver. Try to return it.
Regards Jörg
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I suppose you are protected as a buyer. Ask for refund as soon as possible. Silver cannot be recognized in pictures.
Magnet test is definitive proof.
How does it pay off to fake ? Very simple: one can strike 1000 worthless objects and sell it as silver. Calculate the profit.
Good luck.
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I am sure that in the Ag 2012 response there is a misprint; as he said in another post
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... net#p70830
Silver or not silver is NOT tested with a magnet
The so-called "magnet test" for silver is not done by observing whether the object is or is not attracted by a magnet but by sliding on its surface a magnet.
If you have an object of great surface, such as a tray, put your tray so that it is at a 45 degree angle. Place a strong magnet (like a rare earth's one) at top and let it slide down. Should the magnet slide slowly down. This may seem counterintuitive, but silver is paramagnetic and the rare earth magnet induces electric eddy currents in the silver which act as an electromagnet to create a braking effect. That slows the descent of the magnet.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Silver is not attracted by magnet.
Magnet test can be positive or negative.
If positive (attracted by magnet) it`s definitively NOT silver and no further testing is needed.
If negative (not attracted by magnet) does not mean it`s silver and further testing is needed to determine the alloy.
I was referring to negative test result and wrong conclusion, i.e. like this`` Not attracted by magnet, therefore it`s silver``.
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Ag 2012
forgive me if I misunderstood the sense of your post, sometimes I have difficulty with the English language.
However, what matters is that we agree that if an item is not attracted by a magnet it does not mean it`s silver.
Regards
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Yes, we agree on that and I find your English perfect.
That is similar to paternity testing before DNA. Blood group cannot be used to PROVE paternity, but can provide unequivocal evidence that a male is NOT the father of a particular child.
Kindest regards

Return to “General Questions”