Caster - purpose?

Do not post mark questions here.
Hose_dk
contributor

Caster - purpose?

Post by Hose_dk »

x
In books we read caster (strøbøsse in danish) used for sugar, salt or spices. And then . (period) Nothing more - but what where they used for? I know that we decide what to use, but, today salt=one large hole Pepper=several small holes. Pepper has to be spread.
Small collection. Difficult to generalize. But we have from left to right.
England 1847, Copenhagen 1827, Copenhagen 1819 and Randers 1813.
Look at the holes - smallest is UK+1819, a bit larger 1827 and then very large holes in 1813.
This one must have had a different use than the others. Two rows of very large holes and a group of large holes. This must mean that a lot of the contents has to be released.
x

These two 1827 and 1819 - difference in size one 10cm and one 12 cm - but contenth in the large one must be double the other. Does the amount have anything to say? It could be a co-insident or it might be that the contenth for the large one was less expensive. A guess could be that it is for sand - used when writing with a pen. That could correspond with that holes are smarler in the big one.
x

All of this could be just speculation. On the other hand - they where skilled and they naturally designed thing for their use.
What du you think ? can we elaborate of different use of different pieces.
Please add some of your casters to this debate.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Hose,

I guess there are several factors involved in determining its use. The size of the caster and the size of the piercings could be because of the cost of contents, the strength of the contents or how finely ground those contents need to be to get the best out of them.

The Georgian table displayed a far bigger range of condiments than what we are used to now, whereas nowadays we often have only salt and pepper, two hundred years ago you would have seen such items as cayenne, nutmeg and dry mustard as well as sugar and cinnamon.

Regards Trev.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Indeed yes you are right. 125 years ago if I remember correct, a table setting was 60 different pieces. For dinner, lunch ect. Imagine to buy a set for 12 people that amounted to approx 720 pieces.

When I write that books give only a few clue, it is only partly correct. Large casters are said to be for sugar. When for salt it must be guilded inside.
silverport
contributor

Caster - don't forget the Baroque period

Post by silverport »

Hello

If we have to classify a caster in question — and this caster’s marks are from around Baroque period, then we have to hold in mind also the use of flour to make wig’s colour again bright white.

Kind regards silverport
Hose_dk
contributor

Re: Caster - purpose?

Post by Hose_dk »

Got a sugar caster today 18 cm - unfortunately I cannot find maker - so time and place will be difficult. But it is nice.
x
any ideas?
Per-Eldar

Post by Per-Eldar »

Is there hallmark on them Hose_dk ?
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Yes I guess that the ladies are those, but here they are again

X
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Don't forget: sand casters for the literal minded.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

yes thats a good sugestion. Sand is cheap and used in large quantities.
I didnt connect cheap sand with expensive silver. But its not the sand/silver - but sand and the look of the masters table, or position in his company.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Fine powder (pounce) was often made from powdered cuttlefish bone.
It is explained and discussed here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pounce_(calligraphy)
Regards

Return to “General Questions”