is silver always marked?

Do not post mark questions here.
silversmith_

is silver always marked?

Post by silversmith_ »

I m not sure if this is the suited forum for this question but after reading subject contents of every forum I can´t find any other suited for my question that this one. However, if you consider it, move it to the correct forum but let me know before, please.

Are silver objects ar always hallmarked? I ask this I have have seen some that, although not hallmarked, they seem absolutely silver.

Thanks
oel
co-admin

Re: is silver always marked?

Post by oel »

Hi,

No, silver objects are not always hallmarked and if so we have no guarantee about the standard or fineness of the silver alloy or purity of the used silver. Silver without hallmarks in the UK is called white metal.
We call silver a precious metal;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_metal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is in human nature to cheat and to try to sell white metal alloys with no or little silver, as ‘silver’. To protect our self we introduced hallmarks for precious metals;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_hallmarks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Oel
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I do take exception to:
oel wrote:It is in human nature to cheat and to try to sell white metal alloys with no or little silver, as ‘silver’.
As an American silversmith and jeweler it is very rare I have ever seem anything stamped sterling that was not. Though the government does not enforce the trademarking laws, it has not been a problem seen often, and the few examples I have seen were bought by tourists returning from abroad.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

I haven't run across it in American pieces that I know of but there are numerous pieces from Mexico, Italy and China especially with false marks. Unfortunately I do see a lot of American sellers claiming them as sterling despite knowing they are fake although more are unaware that the fakes exist.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

dont know anything about american silver.
In Europe the use of pseudomarks indication silver has a long history. Before 1900 the use of halmarks changed and many tried to use other metals. When i wisit second hand shops - there are tons of plated silver. Pieces that all carry marks indicating silver. Why should americans be better. On the contrary the use of "solid silver plating" - the use of words indicating silver on pieces that are EP. How about the plated gold? Solid 23 carat gold plated - come on the americans have exactly the same bad habbits.

I do not say that silver is hall marked sterling - but it exists in many versions - misspelled word, has that not been the case? SETRLING or similar.

Another thing. Thinks are often repaird during times. When making a hall mark you weaken the silver where the hall mark is struck. So in use could have damage. I have a tea stainer anno 1800 +- 20 years. No hallmarks. I wondered why - one day i tested for silver. The tea stainer have 3 legs - one leg was not silver but made of a white metal. Then I realized - once in time the stainer had broken one of the legs, when repaired they used another metal.
And hallmark should originally have been set at one of the legs - that was what I had expected.

So a reason could be repair on an old thing.

Return to “General Questions”