New member w/question about "magnet testing"

Do not post mark questions here.
Shallette

New member w/question about "magnet testing"

Post by Shallette »

Hello everyone. I just joined this forum today and have spent over 4 hours reading and searching through the posts. I saw a youtube video from an Englishman who said that, if something is real silver vs. plated, a magnet will not stick to the real silver. Is this true?

Also, I have some forks and I am trying to identify the mark/s on them, but I have no idea which forum to post them in. I have made pictures of the marks and uploaded them to photobucket, but I haven't yet been able to figure out how to get them onto this forum. (I am not only a complete novice in the silver arena, but also technologically challenged.) When I can get that figured out, how do I know which forum to upload the pictures to? There are numbers, symbols and the word/name "HART".

All suggestions welcome and thanks for your time.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: New member w/question about "magnet testing"

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

No, a magnet will not stick to silver.

If you are unsure if your item is silver or not, then post it initially in the silverplate forum. It can always be moved later.

Trev.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Shallette wrote: I saw a youtube video from an Englishman who said that, if something is real silver vs. plated, a magnet will not stick to the real silver. Is this true?
A magnet will not stick to most silver-plated items either.
Shallette

Post by Shallette »

Thanks to you both for your replies. I will try again tomorrow to get the pictures posted.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Silver or not silver is NOT tested with a magnet; there are acid solutions which turn blood - red on silver (file it first deep enough where it cannot be seen). The deeper the red, the higher the purity.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

A magnet is only useful to rule out items that aren't silver, many silver colored metals with no actual silver, like alpaca/nickel silver won't attract a magnet either.
SirWatkynBassett

Post by SirWatkynBassett »

Hello,

Something to be aware of is the fact that some silver pieces, such as cigarette cases, etc., may have unseen steel components, hinge pins, catch springs etc.

Bassett

Return to “General Questions”