Australian florin silver coin ring

Do not post mark questions here.
SteveH

Australian florin silver coin ring

Post by SteveH »

I have a silver coin ring band that belonged to someone who served in the Pacific during WWII. It is made out of an Australian florin coin, and based on the inscriptions, it was made between 1938 and 1948. Depending on the exact date, it is either sterling or 50% silver.

One thing I found is that an almost identical ring was made by a man named Wendal J. Kulenkamp of Minnesota during his time in the Pacific theater.

Does anyone know if Kulenkamp was the only one who made this type of ring? Or perhaps the main one who made this type of ring? I've seen references to the fact that "During or after WWII, silver florins were sometimes made into rings", but Kulenkamp is the only specific name I've seen associated with these rings. Thanks.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Australian florin silver coin ring

Post by dragonflywink »

Have seen quite a few of these over the years, my Mom has one very similar to yours, also made from an Australian florin, but have seen all sorts of silver coins used. They're not particularly uncommon or difficult to craft - the edge of a silver coin is simply tapped repeatedly with the back of a spoon, or a hammer until it reaches the desired size, then the center of the coin is cut out and the interior smoothed. Have no doubt that a good number are 'trench art', made by members of the military as a way to pass time - but they're hard to date without provenance, since an older coin could be used at anytime (how-to instructions can be found online)...

~Cheryl
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

These rings are still being made. I am asked to make 2-3 sets as wedding bands each year. The coins are typically from their birth-year (lucky are us older folks born before 1964 when the US switched to clad coinage). For younger folks the bands have to be plated (usually with platinum) to prevent green fingers.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thank you both for the info.

-Steve

Return to “General Questions”