Why are silver picture frames so thin?

Do not post mark questions here.
samsilver

Why are silver picture frames so thin?

Post by samsilver »

I am a newbie to collecting silver and could use some advice.

I've set out to collect Sterling Silver picture frames (not silverplate or anything else). I want solid, sturdy, heirloom quality frames that will last for generations.

I ordered a few frames from various reputable online sources, but have been really disappointing int he quality. It was not what I was expecting. For example, I bought a 5x7 Wallace Sterling Silver Frame. It turned out to be a really thin sheet of sterling that had been stamped. The sheet was backed up by plastic and whatnot to keep its form, and the back of the frame was velvet. I was told by one dealer that I should expect most Sterling Silver picture frames to be like this. If that is so, it is really disappointing and I will not be bothering to continue collecting these.

I could not get over the thin nature of the silver element. It was barely there. Hardly what I want to collect. It felt cheap.

I'm willing to pay for quality, and heavier amounts of silver. I want something solid, chunky, and substantial. Where do I look? Is there a brand? A dealer? A website?

It would be amazing if I could know the troy ounces in the silver frame, so that I could determine how much I was paying for the intrinsic value of the silver, compared to how much I was paying for collectible or art value of the item.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Why are silver picture frames so thin?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
First of all, not every silver frame is expected to be made of thin sheet of silver. There are solid, sturdy, heavy frames.
Do not buy online; there are so many opportunities at antique fairs etc.
But that`s my opinion because I never buy online. I prefer having silver in my hands and inspect it for possible flaws.
Regards

Return to “General Questions”