Any suggestions of books on Russian?

Do not post mark questions here.
42jbb

Any suggestions of books on Russian?

Post by 42jbb »

Hi, can anyone think of any good books on Russian silver? I don't mind what language the books are in. If there are any books that are really good on Communist silver they would be good to see.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Best Wishes

Jamie
Goldstein
contributor

Re: Any suggestions of books on Russian?

Post by Goldstein »

Hi 42jbb -
can you please explain what you mean with "Russian silver" until 1917?
Plain Silver, Niello, Enamel, Icons, Church silver, Flatware, Hollowware?
The same with silver from USSR after 1917?
First problem:
It takes you several years to understand what is what - books are only a minor part - what you need is own experience or the experiences of serious collectors with real objects in your own hands. Or you read the past 5 years on this forum to get an impression what is coming your way.
Here some books which can be helpful - some expensive - some out of print and hard to get - some very good - some only conditionally trustworthy.

Second problem:
The world is full of more or less authentic looking fakes. If you can not 100% distinguish you loose money and interest very quick.
My advice: start small and learn, learn, learn! Read the forum - contact the forum - ask the forum - before you buy something!
I wish you the best!

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
As far as I understood you asked for ``communist silver``, meaning after 1917.If so,copy-paste this in Russian and search for online seller.How to pay and order is another problem.
Otherwise, Goldstein answered your question.
Regards

Клейма на изделиях из драгоценных металлов. 1917-2000гг. (СССР - Россия). Справочник Н. Г. Троепольская
42jbb

Post by 42jbb »

Thank you very much Goldstein and AG2012. You have both been most helpful. I agree with you both. Education is the best thing.

Best Wishes

Jamie

Return to “General Questions”