Keep old storage boxes?

Do not post mark questions here.
Ahrens

Keep old storage boxes?

Post by Ahrens »

Is there any value to keep old storage boxes for silverware? I have four storage boxes which appear to have been made of wood covered with a veneer that looks like fake leather. The satin interiors are stained and dirty, and the veneer on the boxes is coming off.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

The boxes have the names of the jewelers Rutishauser of Geneve, and M. Imhof of Geneve. Pieces of the silverware carry marks representing two jewelers: Rutishauser and Wagner, and nothing is marked M. Imhof. Thank you for your assistance.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Keep old storage boxes?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Boxes can be restored and used for flatware. Moreover, they can be fitted with glass and transformed into beautiful display boxes for a numismatic collection, watches or small silver. With a bit of imagination and skill they are far better than boxes ‚‚Made in China‚‚.
Regards
Joerg
contributor

Re: Keep old storage boxes?

Post by Joerg »

Your retailer "Rutishauser" is either Jean Rutishauser (1846-1913) or his son Jean-Antoine (1863-1936), from Geneva. Fits well with the Jezler silver going with it, you dated it around 1900, which may be correct.
So your boxes are from 1900 and in bad shape. They have no real historical value, however, it is of course nice to have the original boxes in which the silver was sold. If you collect silver, over the course of time you come across many such boxes. I still have all boxes I ever got, but this is sentimentality. If you want to keep them, nice, your children may like it. If you give them away, fine.
Regards, Jörg

Return to “General Questions”