Russian goldmark

Do not post mark questions here.
Qrt.S
contributor

Russian goldmark

Post by Qrt.S »

Can anybody show a real picture of a Russian assaying mark for gold consisting of the fineness in figures e.g.56 followed by a town mark in an oval frame with or without notches up and down? There is a rather similar silver mark, see P#15 (1882-1898) but I am talking about a gold mark. It has been claimed to me that such a mark exists but I have heavy doubts about that (never seen) ....Therefore a picture would be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Goldstein
contributor

Re: Russian goldmark

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
here you go:
[img=https://abload.de/thumb/05unozt.jpg]

Regards
Goldstein
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

By the way if someone could be identify the maker of the first one - could be interesting for me too.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. The mark undoubtedly exists. Looks like mostly punched on bracelets. I must admit that I neither have stumbled into it nor seen it mentioned in the literature I have at my disposal and therefore have had my doubts about it....however, not anymore.
Thanks again.

@huszas76
I revert to you maker's mark БЕ later in case I manage to find him. I have no access to my books at the moment...

Have a nice day
Qrt.S
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Additional question 1
Another thing caught my mind regarding this gold mark. It seems to that sometimes the the town mark is in front of the fineness figures and the shield has no notches. When the town mark is behind the fineness figures it seems to that the shield has notches up and down. Is it perhaps so:

a) a town mark in front of fineness and no notches, made before 1882
b) a town mark behind fineness and notches made 1882-1898

For the records: It is known that the notches appear as from 1882, at least on the silver hallmarks.

I haven't seen this gold mark matter recorded anywhere, or is it, where? Or am I lost in deep water?....maybe but??

Question 2
Have you seen a similar silver hallmark where the town mark is in front of the fineness figures with a shield with or without notches. If anybody has such a picture I would be happy to see it.

Thank you in advance.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Goldstein`s image.
For those who speak German https://abload.de works fine.
Regards

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@huszas

The maker БЕ could be Yezrielov Berka Izrailevich (Езриелов Берка Израилевич) in St Petersburg. There is a minor notice of him being active around the turn of the century (1901) especially with goldwork. The use of the assaying mark on the lock ended 1898, and "mentioned 1901" is not very far from 1898, but...?

Return to “General Questions”