The firm of Peter Hertz Copenhagen

Do not post mark questions here.
WarrenKundis
contributor

The firm of Peter Hertz Copenhagen

Post by WarrenKundis »

In an effort to understand the wider context of silver production in Copenhagen during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, I wanted to focus on Peter Hertz.

As I understand it Peter Hertz was born in Copenhagen in 1811. From age 14 he worked within the trade. Read that Peter established himself as a silversmith in Copenhagen, Hamburg, and Bremen from 1830-33. Gained his citizenship 29/10-1834. Peter exhibited in the 1862 International Exhibition London. Peter is considered the founder of the Hertz dynasty.

In 1876 Peter turned over the management of the firm to his sons Jacob and Sally. He died in 1885. The firm won awards in Malmo in 1881, Liverpool in 1886, Paris in 1889, and Chicago in 1895(?). In 1906 the firm was awarded a Danish Royal warrant.

Makers mark is P HERTZ, one other has been seen with the same mark with a crown above.

One other point that that the article I read made was that there silver designers to contributed to the Peter Hertz brand. Individuals such as Jahon Rohde, Thorvald Bindesboll, and Harvald Slott-Moller.

is this material as I have laid it our correct? Am also curious about that 1830-33 period when it seems that Peter worked and traveled between three cities.

Return to “General Questions”