Bruckmann 240 Iris

Do not post mark questions here.
silverfan
contributor

Bruckmann 240 Iris

Post by silverfan »

Hi all,
this Art Nouveau pattern - in Germany very sought after - is called Iris and was designed for the world Exhibition 1900 in Paris. I think it is the flatware pattern with the most different pieces ever produced in Germany. Does anybody know for what purpose the little spoon (14,6 cm) and the little fork (13,8 cm) were made?
Regards silverfan

oel
co-admin

Re: Bruckmann 240 Iris

Post by oel »

Hi,
We Dutch should call it zilveren Komkommer couvert in English silver cucumber fork & spoon
This set is made in Germany by Peter Bruckmann & Söhne, length 14.3 cm, weight 49 gram :

Best,

Peter
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi Peter,
thanks for your quick answer. I had thought about oyster fork and spoon or little salad fork and spoon. For little cucumbers (gherkins) or mixed pickles is a good idea.
Regards silverfan
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi Silverfan
I do not know if you are aware, the pattern and its use is prominently featured in Reinhard Sängers book "Das Deutsche Silber Besteck"
Unfortunately I have only a bad photocopy, the book is out of print. It says there were a very high number of pieces and within the pieces a lot of variations. I add pictures of the tables printed in the book, showing the pieces and the variations. There is no exact match for your pieces, but the oister fork is close. Or maybe a "Beilagebesteck"?
Sorry if you have the book and know the content.
Kind regards
Jörg
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi Joerg,
Oyster fork was also my first idea. I looked into Sänger (I have only a photocopy too) and became unsure. I had never heard about an oyster spoon. Therefore I made the post here. Oel said it is used for cucumbers, that lead me to the idea: perhaps for mixed pickles too. I am open for better proposals.
Regards silverfan

Return to “General Questions”