Fabergé's marks in St. Petersburg and Moscow?

Do not post mark questions here.
Qrt.S
contributor

Fabergé's marks in St. Petersburg and Moscow?

Post by Qrt.S »

A question is bothering me.
Carl Peter Fabergé was appointed the court supplier title in 1885. My impression is that the mentioned year Fabergé started to punch the double headed eagle on objects produced in Moscow only and marked with the “trade mark” К. ФАБЕРЖЕ but no maker’s mark but of course with the assaying mark of Moscow.
In St. Petersburg the company used the mark ФАБЕРЖЕ with no K. in front. Nonetheless, there were some exceptions. The masters Stefan Wäkevä (SW), Julius Rappoport (IP), Antti Nevalainen (AN) and the 1st silver artel (1CA/ICA) were allowed to punch their mark alongside with Fabergé’s mark in St. Petersburg. As mentioned above the court supplier mark was not punched with the ФАБЕРЖЕ -mark. (...or was it?)

There were, however, some special arrangements for the Moscow market. The mentioned masters punched their mark with the К. ФАБЕРЖЕ mark and the double headed eagle mark and with the assaying mark for St. Petersburg. Those objects were sold in Faberge’s salesroom in Moscow. This was on demand of the Faberge’s Moscow customers (?)

There were some other exceptions too, like Varvara Baladanova, Friedrich Rückert, Ivan Saltykov and Maria Semenova. Some of their production was sold by Fabergé in Moscow. This is, anyway, another case and let us not mix it with my assumption above. It could be discussed in another topic.

Summa summarum, is my assumption correct and if not, what should be corrected?

A puzzled Qrt.S
Goldstein
contributor

Re: Fabergé's marks in St. Petersburg and Moscow?

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

as far as I know there are no more secrets about Fabergé - only dubious "new findings" and lost Imperial Easter Eggs with scratchnumbers found in a barn.
Here the known marks:

Some literature:

Fabergé
Hofjuwelier des Zaren
Exhibition catalogue Munich by Géza von Habsburg

The Fabulous Epoch Of Fabergé
Exhibition catalogue Catherine Palace Zarskoje Selo by Dr. V. Mulkhin

Fabergé
Alexander von Solodkoff

Fabergé: Imperial Jeweller
Géza von Habsburg and Marina Lopato

Carl Fabergé
Goldsmith to the Imperial Court of Russia
A. Kenneth Snowman

etc ,etc

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thank you, but it isn't that simple. If you knew all secrets of Fabergé, there wouldn't be any secrets left but there are....
I have all those books and probably at least half a dozen more. The problem with most of these books is that they are full of nice pictures and history but very few contain valuable information and pictures of Fabergé's marks and explanations of his marking procedures. That is what I am searching for with my question and that is still "the lost secret and huggermugger" By the way,there are more variations than the shown ones.

The main question remains: Did Fabergé punch the court supplier mark with his St. Petersburg mark or not?
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

Just stay factual!
Qrt.S wrote:I have all those books and probably at least half a dozen more
If you have all the books and many more - there you find the anwers
Qrt.S wrote:The main question remains: Did Fabergé punch the court supplier mark with his St. Petersburg mark or not?
See here:
Qrt.S wrote: By the way,there are more variations than the shown ones
Please be so kind and show what you have - allegations lead nowhere. Pictures....
And check the year when Fabergé became Court Supplier.

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

If I knew all the answers why would I ask here? The answer cannot be found in my books. If you have the answer kindly tell me and don't tease me! There is nothing new in what you have written in this thread.
FYI!
It is a bit unclear when Fabergé was appointed purveyor to the court of His Imperial Majesty AIII. Different sources, different years. Snowman says 1884 or 1885, G. von Habsburg says 1884, U. Tillander 1885, Russian Silver says 1885 etc. The year was most likely 1885 in connection with the hen egg. You have the books check it yourself. Start with "The Fabulous Epoch of Fabergé" page 238 and read "...Court supplier from May 1885..." This statement is hardly picked from the sky when they even the month is mentioned, i.e May, or? I know you have this book. Nonetheless, 1884-1885 no big deal.

I know very well that the double eagle is punched in connection with AN, IP, SW and ICA. I already mentioned that but that is not the question! Please reread me previous inputs, especially the first one! Please do not show me extracts from books. I have the books!

Return to “General Questions”